148Likes

post #1 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8340 Post(s)
Liked: 14663
UltraViolet is Shutting Down

So long, UltraViolet. The licensing service that was supposed to instill confidence in movie lovers transitioning to an online library, is going away. Unsurprisingly, that leaves "owners" of the content in a bit of a lurch, essentially dependent upon a particular retailer. You can read the statement, you're supposed to rest assured that someone, somewhere is "working in concert to minimize potential disruptions to UltraViolet Libraries."

The cynics win this one.

It's probably good idea to follow the directions on the ultraviolet homepage, which state: "Don’t unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows."

-----

Full Press Statement:

"UV ONLINE STATEMENT

We want to thank you, our many loyal consumers, for making UltraViolet a part of your home entertainment experience. However, we must inform you that effective July 31, 2019, UltraViolet will be shutting down. Rest assured that UltraViolet and its retail and content partners are working in concert to minimize potential disruptions to UltraViolet Libraries.

Going forward, if you have an UltraViolet Library, you will be receiving direct updates from us and likely directly from the retailer(s) you use to access your movies and TV shows with additional information about your UltraViolet account, details for the shutdown of UltraViolet, and how to enjoy continued access to your movies and TV shows. In the meantime, we encourage you to visit www.myuv.com for further information."

UV QUOTE ATTRIBUTED TO WENDY AYLSWORTH, PRESIDENT OF DECE

“The launch of UltraViolet in 2011 played a key role in the consumer acceptance and comfort with building online, digital entertainment libraries,” noted Wendy Aylsworth, President of DECE. “Given the growth of the marketplace and the emergence of services that offer expanded options to collect and access content independent of UV as well as other industry factors, the DECE has decided to discontinue the UltraViolet platform. And, with a planned end date of July 31, 2019, our top priority is making sure the sunset of UV goes as smoothly as possible for consumers.”

------

DECE Website FAQ

GENERAL

Q. Why is UltraViolet going away?

A. In the years since UltraViolet’s launch, we’ve seen the emergence of services that provide expanded options for movie and TV show collection and management independent of UltraViolet. This and other market factors have led to the decision to discontinue UltraViolet.

Q. How can I access my existing movies and TV shows after UltraViolet shuts down?

A. In most cases, your movies and TV shows will be available via the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library at the time of UltraViolet shutdown. Linking to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption. Visit www.myuv.com/retailers for a list of retailers.

Q. How will this affect my UltraViolet Library of movies and tv shows?

A. In most cases, we anticipate very little impact. Most, and perhaps all, existing rights in UltraViolet Libraries currently available through your linked retailers that are still operating should continue to be available from those retailers. While there could be some disruption, we do not anticipate this on a broad scale and are working diligently to minimize and avoid such instances.

Q. Can I continue to purchase movies and TV shows and redeem codes before UltraViolet shuts down?

A. Yes, you can continue to purchase digital movies and TV shows online and redeem digital copy codes. Before UltraViolet shuts down, purchases and code redemptions will be added to your retailer account, but, depending on the retailer, may not be added to your UltraViolet Library. After UltraViolet shuts down, you can continue to make online purchases and redeem codes as before through your chosen retailer, but your movies and TV shows will only be available through that retailer.

Q. If I have unredeemed codes after UltraViolet shuts down can I still use them?

A. You can follow the instructions on the insert to redeem the code. No UltraViolet right will be created, so your movies and TV shows will only be available through that retailer.

Q. Is there a list of UltraViolet retailers?

A. Visit www.myuv.com/retailers for a list of retailers in your country.

Q. Where can I find out which retailers are linked to my UltraViolet Library?

A. Navigate to www.myuv.com, log in, and choose “RETAILER SERVICES" at the top right.

Q. When will my UltraViolet account be closed?

A. The planned UltraViolet shutdown is on July 31, 2019. Don’t unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows. Your UltraViolet Library will be automatically closed after UltraViolet shuts down."
SuperFist, RagtopFE and Montucky like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 66
This is exactly why I still buy discs and put them on my own servers.
post #3 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 1978
Fortunately, the ability to link accounts has always (or lately) been an option, but this is the exact reason you do not "buy" into digital content. Poof, ripped from your hands. You are "buying" the right to stream the content....if it is still there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This is why I try to avoid buying movies or TV. Seeing movies in the theater ($5 Tuesdays), rotating streaming services, and renting the small amount of movies that doesn't cover is not only cost-effective, but it avoids investing money into a format or company that inevitably will need to be replaced.
durack likes this.
post #5 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandyne View Post
This is exactly why I still buy discs and put them on my own servers.
+1. Can't trust any cloud locker. Not to mention disc a/v quality being superior to streaming. Lon did a video segment on pitfalls of digital media recently...

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #6 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Fortunately, the ability to link accounts has always (or lately) been an option, but this is the exact reason you do not "buy" into digital content. Poof, ripped from your hands. You are "buying" the right to stream the content....if it is still there.
I wonder how much of a role moviesanywhere.com played in this, and I am also curious as to how will this affect that site.
rfbrang likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #7 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Any technology that you can imagine being deprecated or there is a simpler alternative will be gone within 10 years. I don't foresee physical discs sticking around much longer either. Why on earth would the industry not want to take your blu-ray player money and sell you content for that cash instead? They would rather not have the manufacturing facilities and boxes while providing products to retailers at much lower prices when they can sell direct. They are currently just using the retailers for eyeballs/advertising until dvd/disc consumer habits change to make less relevant. The content folks will try to make the hardware and all middle-men obsolete. This is the progression with Amazon producing movies and shows on their own.

After the convenience of compressed atmos and HDR 4k video on apple tv, I have bought a grand total of ZERO discs. SO MUCH content out there that I can't even imaging watching 99% of the stuff that I watch more than 1-2 times. There is barely a reason to buy most stuff (vs rent) and owning is going to be increasingly irrelevant to more people as long as they know where to rent something when they want it.

I would lump direct TV and dish network, et al into this category. I can't see how many of these folks will stay open as profitability keeps dropping. Eventually there is a logarithmic drop off and they close like so many other retailers that we have seen this happen to. With future changes to Apple Carplay and in-car cell service, I also don't see where most will be using Sirius satellite in the far future either.

You will have ISP's and you will have content providers. The streaming hardware itself is practically a commodity item now as is the actual internet service. Prices for internet have dropped dramatically as well.

It is truly amazing what you can get for the money now... the consumer has gained a LOT in the past 20 years. Remarkable really.

I foresee the next big catalyst being full mesh network protocol for wifi and wifi clients bringing down DRAMATICALLY the cost of wifi deployment even compared to today's levels. The cost of creating reliable home hardware is going to drop precipitously imo.

In a generally inflationary world, I can see as the hardware becomes more and more deflationary, the content providers will want to take that gap in consumer discretionary money.

Consumer utility does not have to drop to zero for a business to close, only the business profitability. The moment you drop below profitability on a mature tech, the game is essentially over unless that company shifts to a new model.
ipca204, dlbsyst and toddman36 like this.

Blazar!
post #8 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Well another reason Physical Media is not such a bad thing.. At least if you own it, it's yours!

blazar: Spot on with your last comment!

Dynaudio Confidence Platinum C2, Special 40's/KEFs and Elac 5.2s / Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, Pass Labs, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #9 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Well another reason Physical Media is not such a bad thing.. At least if you own it, it's yours!

blazar: Spot on with your last comment!
Indeed. It's not a government agency, so unless it makes somebody enough money to keep them interested in running it, goodbye.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #10 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 3813 Post(s)
Liked: 3026
Couple of things here:
Foremost, Internet streaming is increasing at a 1000% as more people stream, etc. Unfortunately, the hardware providers are still trying to squeeze more and more through less and less, to increase profitability, causing increasing bogging down of getting the video materials. So, streaming goes up 1000%, and the infrastructure plods along at maybe 10% increases. Something will have to give.
Secondly, as I look up the values of discs I've purchased in the past, and coming availability declining, I'm looking at the value of my collection increasing. I'll die a wealthy man, or should I say, I've leave behind a well off widow. (Maybe not, she may just sell the whole collection to someone for $100 to just get it out of the house, then complain I left her penniless!)

I think the name UltraViolet has not been a real thing to me for years.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #11 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Couple of things here:
Foremost, Internet streaming is increasing at a 1000% as more people stream, etc. Unfortunately, the hardware providers are still trying to squeeze more and more through less and less, to increase profitability, causing increasing bogging down of getting the video materials. So, streaming goes up 1000%, and the infrastructure plods along at maybe 10% increases. Something will have to give.
Secondly, as I look up the values of discs I've purchased in the past, and coming availability declining, I'm looking at the value of my collection increasing. I'll die a wealthy man, or should I say, I've leave behind a well off widow. (Maybe not, she may just sell the whole collection to someone for $100 to just get it out of the house, then complain I left her penniless!)

I think the name UltraViolet has not been a real thing to me for years.
I can't disagree there, some movies are classics and the disc version might wind up being the best copy that exists.

I have my Blu-ray of The Stuff, that can only be streamed in SD.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #12 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS & LAAVA Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Well thats a bummer, me and my roommate took advantage of that share your library with 5 emails so that we could have up to 40 devices linked to the main account, we then shared it with friends and family and whenever they got codes we would then add it to our main account. Thats how we grew out library to around 8,000 movies. Wonder how ultimately that will be effected... ^^;; But more my roommates problem as hes the one that went nuts with sharing the account verses my problem lol...
SuperFist likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #13 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I wonder how much of a role moviesanywhere.com played in this, and I am also curious as to how will this affect that site.
It has everything to do with it. I covered this when MA started up.
http://net-al30.stream/forum/39-ne...l#post54949712
http://net-al30.stream/forum/39-ne...l#post54948134
http://net-al30.stream/forum/39-ne...g-service.html

When thing that is important here is UV is not a business at all, it is a consortium of business that support the locker service. The one movie studio that did not cooperate was Disney. And of the content streamers Apple and Amazon did not cooperate. What has been happening is a number of businesses have left the consortium for MA, so there is now not enough of support to keep UV going.

I was finally forced to join MA this summer when I could not redeem codes from Warner Brothers so I ended up joining to redeem those codes. Since I did it on Vudu I got dual redemption so the title showed up in both UV and MA. I did not link my Amazon account to MA only Vudu.
SuperFist likes this.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #14 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 71
If you link to MA than you probably won't lose anything you purchased.
post #15 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkarmichael
This is why I try to avoid buying movies or TV. Seeing movies in the theater ($5 Tuesdays), rotating streaming services, and renting the small amount of movies that doesn't cover is not only cost-effective, but it avoids investing money into a format or company that inevitably will need to be replaced.
I buy all my discs used or heavily discounted for the movies I know I want and use Family Video or RedBox for the rest. Regardless of what new technologies come out, 1080p blu ray disc quality is definitely good enough for the long haul. They can't magically make old movies look significantly better. For movies that have yet to come out, it's a different story of course.

IMO, if you are going to invest time and money into a dedicated theater or viewing space with a large, high quality image and multi speaker surround sound, the convenience of streaming doesn't outweigh the quality of the disc.

Last edited by SteveCallas; 01-31-2019 at 09:24 AM.
post #16 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Mark my word, if people refuse to purchase physical media anymore and it goes by the way side in favor of streaming, prices for obtaining movies, etc. through streaming/downloads will skyrocket. The Hollywood studios and other content providers are licking their chops for this all to happen. Consumers will not even own the content they have purchased.

The studios will have full control of when and how you watch or listen to something including charging you for every viewing/listening, and pulling the plug whenever they want on that content, and the consumer will have no recourse.
post #17 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Well, just checked my count and I have 91 movies there. I have filed and kept all the DVD's I have purchased. I actually use MyVudu as my "video jukebox" and it allows me to organize and see what I have. Then I go to my file system and get the movie and play it. The other scenario is I have purchased a fair share of movies electronically (maybe 20 percent), so I do not have the DVD. Who knows what will become of those. I am going back to 100 percent buying them if it is a "good" movie. I have found that I may watch a movie 2 to 5 times at least if it is a great action movie. Cheaper to buy than rent in that case. An example, I recently streamed and purchased Queen. The DVD with a free tshirt will arrive shortly. Between myself and my family the movie will get played at least 2-5 times easy.

I will rent ones that I am pretty certain I will watch one time. Certainly the concept of you buy a movie and digitally store it will suffer if people lose there content and confidence in the idea of it.

Sony 285es 4k , 16'6" from the screen. 142" Silver Ticket 2.35:1 A/T Screen. Yamaha RX-A3050, 7 Channel Outlaw Amp, 7.2.4 speaker layout. Triad Bronze L/C/R , Triad Silver Omni SE Surround(Sides), Triad Bipole Gold OnWall Rear, 4 Ceiling Silver Ticket Speakers. SVS PB2000 Subwoofer and a PB1000, Oppo. 203 player, XBox One X, Roku 4, Logitech remote, Alexa Controlled
post #18 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
A few industry articles stated that "MovieAnywhere" was a big factor in UltraViolets demise. MovieyAnywhere did a better job of partnering with Google, Amazon and Apple.

Oh and I tried to check my UltraViolet account this morning and the site was DOWN!
sdg4vfx and cTwining like this.
post #19 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 899
For quite some time UltraViolet has basically meant VUDU since it's one of the few supporters left. Much of my 1000+ VUDU collection has already migrated over to Movies Anywhere, Google Play, iTunes and Amazon Video. My only concern at this point are the movies from Paramount, MGM and Lionsgate, studios who held off on joining MA. Will these studios finally capitulate and join MA? I guess we'll find out in the months ahead.

One of the main reasons I have for a large digital collection, in addition to my Blu-ray collection, was the ability to share my movies with family members in other cities and states. Like many members here I have had the feeling that UV would eventually fold due to the competition from MA. With that in mind most of my digital purchases recently have been with either Google Play or iTunes both of which allow family sharing. Amazon Video does not.

Back in the day VUDU allowed me to convert many of my Blu-rays over to digital for $1 each and I'm grateful for that. If a movie is that important to me I own the Blu-ray, if not, then I have a digital copy on one of the listed providers. I think all the movie studios will eventually transition over to MA as the only digital film vault linking all the providers together.
SuperFist and Daniel Chaves like this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #20 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 151
People will say the MA is a better solution, and they may be. Until they decide to shutter the digital storefront and content goes away. Any "alliance of businesses or corporations" can suddenly fall out and cease to exist

This is one topic I'm very happy to be an old fuddy duddy luddite about; Ownership of physical media. Give me a shiny spinny disc any day. I'll make a digital file from the disc in the resolution and sound quality that I want, not what a streaming organization decides is acceptable.

Rather than looking at UltraViolet and throwing out a huge "See, I told you so" I'm gonna settle for a snarkastic
"Ultraviolet? wasn't that a new-age vampire movie" comment.
SuperFist, RagtopFE and Montucky like this.

Last edited by darknite9099; 01-31-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added a rip from disc comment
post #21 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't think this a statement to the superiority of a physical disc that can be purchases, possessed, dispossessed, damaged, or simply lost. I think this is a test to the dedication that movie studios have to the consumer.

Ultraviolet helped spark a digital boon for movie purchases. Buy a movie, watch it at home, on a plane, on a train, or in an automobile. Before UV it was buy a movie on iTunes you could only watch in the appleverse. Buy it from. . . was there really anywhere else at the time. Now we have Movies Anywhere with UV and our lockers and media expanded. When UV shuts down, our media will still exist with VUDU, and FandangoNow. Films from MA studios will also be in iTunes, Amazon, Google, and the like so nothing would really change there.

The greatest issue are those studios that haven't yet joined MA and the support of digitially purchased TV shows. Will those studios join MA and instill our trust in them that its safe to buy their movies? Will MA expand again as it did 4K to cover those TV shows we bought? We will see in the next few months.

I will definitely suspend buying any Digital movies that are not Movies anywhere in the mean time. I've resorted to buying my 3D movies for my 3Dtvs from European retailers because studios told the American 3D user Fawk Eew. I will keep a large skeptic eye on these studios future response.
SuperFist, Rudy1 and billqs like this.
post #22 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkarmichael View Post
Maybe I'm getting old, but I find that I don't enjoy going to the theater nearly as much anymore, and much prefer to watch movies at home.

Watching a movie at home - with HDR on an OLED TV, Atmos audio, in control of the volume level, able to pause and rewind if needed, white sitting on a comfy couch, and sipping on a beer - is much more enjoyable to me than watching a movie at the theater - without HDR, without Atmos, on a projector screen that's seen better days, with the volume way too loud, no ability to pause or rewind, in an uncomfortable chair, with no beer, and surrounded by people who are talking or checking their phones or whatever.
RagtopFE, sdg4vfx, vollans and 2 others like this.
post #23 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg1453 View Post
Mark my word, if people refuse to purchase physical media anymore and it goes by the way side in favor of streaming, prices for obtaining movies, etc. through streaming/downloads will skyrocket. The Hollywood studios and other content providers are licking their chops for this all to happen. Consumers will not even own the content they have purchased.

The studios will have full control of when and how you watch or listen to something including charging you for every viewing/listening, and pulling the plug whenever they want on that content, and the consumer will have no recourse.
Remember the original DIVX? Was a competitor to DVD when it launched, with content on disc locked until...
Quote:
a customer would buy a DIVX disc (similar to a DVD) for approximately US$4.50, which was watchable for up to 48 hours from its initial viewing. After this period, the disc could be viewed by paying a continuation fee to play it for two more days. Viewers who wanted to watch a disc an unlimited number of times could convert the disc to a "DIVX silver" disc for an additional fee. "DIVX gold" discs that could be played an unlimited number of times on any DIVX player were announced at the time of DIVX's introduction, but no DIVX gold titles were ever released.
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX)

Studios want to control how we watch movies, wherein we never really own them, but either subscribe, rent or keep paying for them in some form. Thankfully DVDs, Blu-ray and now UHD discs are popular, but studios would as soon prefer we ditch them all for some cloud library they control.
kimg1453 and billqs like this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #24 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Outside of shared libraries, I find MA a simpler solution! Your can watch any title on a connected retailer or there own app. Code redemptions is a snap, since Disney and Fox provided 4k rights. Purchases, look for the title you want in MA, then shows were you can get it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #25 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Uv was the industry's answer to iTunes and it never really took off. I found it really restrictive as to where I could view my content. And I had to use fa third party service to view my content. When flixter went away my UV content got pushed to Vudo. Then when disney anywhere became movies anywhere my content got pushed to all my services including iTunes. At that point UV became irrelevant since i only used it to redeem codes from disks I purchased. UV was so far in the background of my use i Probably won't notice any difference with the loss of this service.
post #26 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I've never relied on UV for my only copy of a movie. And I have my UV account linked to my VUDU account. I don't sit down and watch a movie streaming...so why register at all?

I use the streaming version to re watch some segments for refreshers or in researching for answering a question I have or someone else has online. I also use the streaming version to quick review before watching a sequel if I don't pop the disk in and watch the entire movie. All in all the streaming version of my movies doesn't get used that much.

TV shows is another story, many of the TV shows I watch I only have the streaming version of and I've pretty much stuck with VUDU. I have purchased them outright since that is VUDUs model rather that subscribe and stream. Subscribe and stream doesn't make a lot of since for my lifestyle at the moment, I don't have time to watch that much "TV", I may use streaming in the future for "TV" shows but for movies it's 1080 or UHD BD by mail or Redbox or purchase.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #27 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Call me paranoid, but this is the only streaming service I trust....just added my 2nd set of 10TB reds over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SYN-DS-918_large.png
Views:	50
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	2518794  

Living Room-Sony 65" XBR900E, Denon X3300W, Nvidia SHIELD. 5.1.2-Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE L/R, CMT-340Center, HTM-200SE Surround, RSL C34E Atmos, Sealed DA UM18 Sub.
"Micro Theater"-Optoma UHD51A, DIY 120" Spandex AT Screen, Denon X4400H, Sony UBP-800X, Nvidia SHIELD. 7.2.4 (planned)- DIYSG HTM-10 LCR, XX Surround, RSL C34E Atmos ,Marty MicroCube 15" DA 390HO.
post #28 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I buy disc and digital. So I think I'm pretty agnostic....here are my thoughts on loss of ownership, which apparently are very unconventional even though they are based off of real-world experiences.

The fear that the "disc-only" people have ("poof"--losing one or more titles) is a real possibility but it has also never, ever happened to me or anyone that I know. In fact this is not the first time a digital service has gone down. I've been through three closures personally, and I've read about two others. In all cases so far, titles transferred to another service (VUDU usually, or UV ironically). Frankly this was kind of welcome because consolidation is nice.

In contrast, I've personally experienced and know many people who have "poof" lost their physical media in a myriad of ways. Countless discs (and tapes before that) were lost to pets, kids, scratches, leaving them in a hot car, theft, etc. Even if you keep them in perfect condition there is risk of bit rot, which has affected LDs, CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, and worst of all virtually every single Warner Brothers HD-DVD.

I've had two different coworkers lose their entire collections due to house fire.

Ripping to a server in order to have a physical backup does protect from accidental damage and bitrot, but not from theft or house fires (and as someone who rips to a Plex server, let's be honest...it's also a time consuming and expensive hobby unto itself).

So although there is indeed theoretical risk of loss in the digital world, in reality (A) the physical disc isn't some kind of 100% guarantee against loss, and (B) physical is actually where all of the existing losses have been, by far.

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 02-01-2019 at 01:18 AM.
post #29 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I just got this from Vudu...here's a short quote that sums things up...
Quote:
You currently have an UltraViolet Library connected to your Vudu account, and all of the titles you have in your Vudu account today will continue to be accessible in your Vudu account up to and after UltraViolet shuts down.
Cheers,
Hetfieldjames and Cal68 like this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #30 of 101 Old 01-31-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
I just got this from Vudu...here's a short quote that sums things up...

Cheers,
Got the same thing, reassuring.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
ultraviolet