Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 201
2018 Samsung Q9FN ''Owners thread'' ''No price talk''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
I feel like I got lucky.....I have some banding that I only see while gaming. Otherwise I don't think I have any other issues. Other than the sound problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I exchanged 4 times and I lost the lotto on all of them. I wonder if display models are cherry picked. I never ran across these issues looking at these sets on display in the store. Roughly 10 years ago I remember swapping out a Samsung lcd 3 times and the display model I swapped for was the only one that was issue free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8132 of 8622 Old 01-16-2019, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
I feel like I got lucky.....I have some banding that I only see while gaming. Otherwise I don't think I have any other issues. Other than the sound problem.

This is why I recommend test patterns to test for dse. Normally these tests are frowned upon because once you see the problem you can’t unsee it. I get that, but I feel it’s necessary because you might in the future start watching something that might get severely affected. I was fine with my level of dse. All 4 sets had almost the same amount except the first one which had a combo of both dse and banding. When I started watching hockey, that’s when it really started bothering me big time.

post #8133 of 8622 Old 01-16-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 436
I am very happy with my self-calibrated (SDR) Q9. Perfect? Of course not, but getting there. My local dimming is almost there, no weirdness watching BD and DVD shows & movies since last update - Deadpool 2 in HDR was excellent. I hope the next update gets it. OTOH, I don't use any apps or game mode.
FarleyUK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8134 of 8622 Old 01-16-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
I am very happy with my self-calibrated (SDR) Q9. Perfect? Of course not, but getting there. My local dimming is almost there, no weirdness watching BD and DVD shows & movies since last update - Deadpool 2 in HDR was excellent. I hope the next update gets it. OTOH, I don't use any apps or game mode.
Pretty much the same thoughts here besides the local dimming. Do you really not get any blooming? I get quite a bit on the internal apps like Netflix/Prime/HBO and a little bit less on my Apple Tv 4K.
post #8135 of 8622 Old 01-16-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehviding View Post
Pretty much the same thoughts here besides the local dimming. Do you really not get any blooming? I get quite a bit on the internal apps like Netflix/Prime/HBO and a little bit less on my Apple Tv 4K.
As I mentioned I don't use apps, no noticeable blooming from DirecTV or my BD player.
post #8136 of 8622 Old 01-16-2019, 09:38 AM

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
As I mentioned I don't use apps, no noticeable blooming from DirecTV or my BD player.
I must be completely blind, apologies.
post #8137 of 8622 Old 01-16-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehviding View Post
I must be completely blind, apologies.
How could you??? I have NEVER misread a post, EVER!

OK, maybe yesterday ...
Ehviding likes this.
post #8138 of 8622 Old 01-16-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I had mine professionally calibrated by a well known and respected professional calibrator as well, but It didn’t improve anything. Faces became more pink. White was fixed and not piss yellow anymore, greenish grays are gone, but faces now look hideous and pink. Black crush, dse, and sdr undersaturation is exactly the same as before. My calibrator is as well known as yours and I’m sure he didn’t screw up. This leads me to believe that my results are way different than yours because of panel variance which seems to plague this model.
If there were no panel variance, we wouldn't need user controls, except perhaps minimally, to adjust for especially bright or dark rooms. I don't think it's your calibrator's fault, but rather the method he's following. The current standard is to adjust the TV to match certain ideal TVs' response. It doesn't work very well. A better method is to adjust the TV to produce a natural looking picture. (I imagine some calibrators do this, anyway, despite their training.)

Greg Lee
post #8139 of 8622 Old 01-16-2019, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
If there were no panel variance, we wouldn't need user controls, except perhaps minimally, to adjust for especially bright or dark rooms. I don't think it's your calibrator's fault, but rather the method he's following. The current standard is to adjust the TV to match certain ideal TVs' response. It doesn't work very well. A better method is to adjust the TV to produce a natural looking picture. (I imagine some calibrators do this, anyway, despite their training.)

All I know is it was money down the toilet. I have very bad luck with these things.

post #8140 of 8622 Old 01-16-2019, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Q9FN HDR vs SDR content - Help

I bought a Q9FN a couple weeks back. Initially I was impressed, until I started comparing side by side to an LG Oled B8

Comparison aside, one thing I noticed straight away when playing God of War on the PS4, is that on the Q9FN, the content looks virtually identical between the SDR and HDR modes, hardly any difference based on the photos I took of both. However on the LG Oled, the difference between SDR and HDR is HUGE. That tv even tells you its in HDR mode, you see the nits pick up, and it even gives you new specific HDR profiles that you can choose between.

Whereas on the Samsung, no difference, no acknowledgement that the signal is HDR, the settings just stay the same as what they were in SDR, i.e if I was in "dynamic" mode, it just stays like that with the same settings. The difference between HDR and SDR here is so subtle that im starting to wonder....is my Q9FN even showing HDR!!? (I've already set HDMI UHD color to ON and im using 18GBPs HDMI cables)

Any thoughts? or anyone run into similar? Really not convinced im getting the best out of this TV

thanks

P
post #8141 of 8622 Old 01-16-2019, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamad138 View Post
Try this settings:
Movie
Backlight: 8 (Max)
Brightness: 0
Contrast: 45
Sharpness: 12
Colour: 30
Tint (G/R): 0
Apply Picture Settings: All Sources
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus Settings: 8/4
Local Dimming: High
Contrast Enhancer: Off
HDR+ Mode: unticked
Film Mode: Off
Color Tone: Warm2
White Balance
Gamma: BT.1868
BT.1868: +2
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space Settings: Nativ
Why is it important that backlight is at 8 max? Everything I read is that backlight is the one setting that is a pure preference and doesn't impact the picture quality.
post #8142 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5727 Post(s)
Liked: 5725
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I exchanged 4 times and I lost the lotto on all of them. I wonder if display models are cherry picked. I never ran across these issues looking at these sets on display in the store. Roughly 10 years ago I remember swapping out a Samsung lcd 3 times and the display model I swapped for was the only one that was issue free.
I highly doubt they cherry pick to the degree we would, but they are not going to leave a super flawed set on the floor that is for sure.
post #8143 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 01:47 AM

Liked: 12
Wen you press the center button of the remote it says uhd HDR?

Enviado do meu ONEPLUS A5010 através do Tapatalk
post #8144 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8

That made me disregard the whole post, even tho I also use low backlight after a calibration. And backligt does have inpact on PQ because SDR is mastered at 120nits max and if you show 250nits offcourse it wont look as intended and the whole picture is off.

SDR does have a standard. It is filmed with the purpose to show on a screen that follows this standard. The Matrix has a green tint by design, saving private ryan has its own color palette and LOTR another, if you tweak to your liking based on a certain movie then all that is down the drain. Adjust the tv to the standards and enjoy the filmakers tweaking of color/light etc. In audio I understand because they can actually master so it sounds better in carspeakers and that will sound worse in a HiFi-system but picture standards is still pretty firm and this is a good thing.
post #8145 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY350Z View Post
I can't believe Samsung says lay it face down on a table to put the stand on. I thought you never lay these screen side down? Maybe it is just me being extra careful.
Was just reading the instructions, I still have another 2 hours before it is set up.
Two TVs ago I unboxed and attached the stand for an SUHD model -- not having a suitable table, I lay the TV face down on the carpet. It made me nervous, so these days, I pay BB an extra $100 to have the delivery guys do this. I watched the two guys set up my Q9. They attached the stand outside my house with the TV upright, and carried it into my house with the stand already attached.

Greg Lee
post #8146 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmageddon View Post
Whereas on the Samsung, no difference, no acknowledgement that the signal is HDR, the settings just stay the same as what they were in SDR, i.e if I was in "dynamic" mode, it just stays like that with the same settings. The difference between HDR and SDR here is so subtle that im starting to wonder....is my Q9FN even showing HDR!!? (I've already set HDMI UHD color to ON and im using 18GBPs HDMI cables)
This is not like my experience, although I don't know exactly how the Q9 distinguishes HDR and SDR. I use HDR+ mode (which might make a difference). I can tell whether the TV is currently displaying an HD/SDR picture or a 4K/HDR picture by going to Settings and looking at the Gamma user setting. If the current video is HD/SDR, Gamma will be 1886; otherwise, it will be 2084 or HLG. Some other settings differ between the two video types, also, but even when different settings are maintained, there is typically little visual difference.

My interpretation of this situation is that the TV is itself making settings changes between SDR and HDR and between HD and 4K as a convenience for users, but it doesn't tell us about these changes.

I went for some time with HDR signals not actually getting to the Q9, despite me thinking I was playing them. As you apparently realize, cables can make a difference, but other things, too.

Greg Lee
post #8147 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 313
No problem face down on a mattress for me. Upright was for plasma.
post #8148 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
This is not like my experience, although I don't know exactly how the Q9 distinguishes HDR and SDR. I use HDR+ mode (which might make a difference). I can tell whether the TV is currently displaying an HD/SDR picture or a 4K/HDR picture by going to Settings and looking at the Gamma user setting. If the current video is HD/SDR, Gamma will be 1886; otherwise, it will be 2084 or HLG. Some other settings differ between the two video types, also, but even when different settings are maintained, there is typically little visual difference.

My interpretation of this situation is that the TV is itself making settings changes between SDR and HDR and between HD and 4K as a convenience for users, but it doesn't tell us about these changes.

I went for some time with HDR signals not actually getting to the Q9, despite me thinking I was playing them. As you apparently realize, cables can make a difference, but other things, too.

Interesting, I came to the same conclusion with regards to noticing based on what the Gamma was. Below are the comparison shots I took

SDR :- http://ibb.co/YZXTZVL
HDR :- http://ibb.co/M7CXqqT

The difference is so subtle, however, look at the next comparison, in that the Q9FN is in the top left, LG B8 is bottom right,

SDR:- http://ibb.co/5kpd1D2
HDR:- http://ibb.co/JrCdg6J

I find it odd how little difference there is on the Samsung, but how obvious it is on the LG....WHat I will say though is that the Sammy SDR content, looks SO much better than the Oled SDR, so maybe they're doing something under the hood to make SDR look closer to HDR? (I did not have HDR10+ mode active for any of these comparisons)
post #8149 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 06:19 AM

Can anyone recommend a good setting for UHD HDR bluray watching? i've got a side by side comparison setup between my Q9FN and LG B8, I'd mentioned in a previous post that I couldn't see much difference between the sammy during SDR and HDR (Ps4 Pro games) but as a side note of that I noticed that Infinity War UHD Bluray looked infinitely better on the Oled. Light scenes were not far away, but dark scenes the Samsung really was not clear. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think it was in Dynamic mode.

Felt a good idea to try and get some good settings from you guys! Currently feeling rather underwhelmed by this TV.
post #8150 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmageddon View Post
I find it odd how little difference there is on the Samsung, but how obvious it is on the LG....WHat I will say though is that the Sammy SDR content, looks SO much better than the Oled SDR, so maybe they're doing something under the hood to make SDR look closer to HDR? (I did not have HDR10+ mode active for any of these comparisons)
Another confounding factor is that some HDR videos have much better color than others. Among the best I've seen are on Youtube in the HDR channel and have names starting "Real 4K HDR ...", I discovered, playing these, that I had to turn down my Color setting considerably (but the lower value works generally).

Greg Lee
post #8151 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 06:55 AM

Dynamic mode? Then what is the point in trying to get you any settings. This is not a natutral looking mode so if you like it, it is based on pure feeling so how can anyone recommend anything? The only thing that should be tried to recommend is getting closer to the standards.
post #8152 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffDeLaGriff View Post
Dynamic mode? Then what is the point in trying to get you any settings. This is not a natutral looking mode so if you like it, it is based on pure feeling so how can anyone recommend anything? The only thing that should be tried to recommend is getting closer to the standards.
I don't share your worship of standards. Anything can be tried, and the winner is the one with the most realistic picture. Standards schmandards.

Greg Lee
post #8153 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
I don't share your worship of standards. Anything can be tried, and the winner is the one with the most realistic picture. Standards schmandards.
In Dynamic mode you can't change the color space, when you can't change color to Auto the TV is locked into 8 bit color regardless of the source.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500
post #8154 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:

You missed the point. Anyone can fibble with setings as much as they want, and they are free to like anything no problem, but how could anyone suggest a setting to a person dragging the controls by feeling?

And what is the recomendation going to try and achieve? A Better picture right......better in what way, more colour...less colour....what?

Here is mine anyways from a 75" calibrated with a probe. However it really needs a greyscale-adjustement, mine was way too red in a big part of the spectrum and the human eye is sensitive to red, so skintoines can look bad. In HDR you could try BT.2020 instead of DCI-P3 just to tame the color if needed.

Turn off ecosetting.

film/Serier i SDR. 120 nits on my set:
Moviemode
Backlight: 11
Contrast: 40
Sharpness: 0
Color: 26
Tint: 0
Digital clean view: Off
Auto motion plus: Off
Local Dimming: Standard
Contrast enhancer: Off
HDR+ Mode: Off
Color Tone: Warm 2
BT.1886: +2
Color space: Custom

HDR:
Moviemode

Backlight: 50
Digital clean view: Auto
Auto motion plus: Custom
ST.2048: +2
Color space: Auto
(if too saturated colors, set it to custom, change to BT.2020)

Last edited by GriffDeLaGriff; 01-17-2019 at 07:22 AM.
post #8155 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManFan View Post
After getting a Chad B calibration, it’s like getting a new TV. This thing is stunning. The only downside is that I now see the depth of my ineptitude at tweaking my settings. I have no clue about self calibration, but if you can spring for a top-tier pro job, I highly recommend it over neophyte tinkering.

I had Chad B stop by this past September and he had some serious equipment problems the whole time and had to start over and over and over..... (his devices were shutting down mid-calibration). I don’t know if they were overheating or were in need of repair or what, but they were literally turning off mid-calibration, forcing him to start over from the beginning, over and over and over…

Appointment was scheduled for 5:00 PM and he didn't leave until after 2:30AM, and all he calibrated was SDR: CAL-Day & CAL-Night

He did look at my brand-new Panny UB820 input, but said it was legit and no changes were needed, so basically walked me through the UB820's menu, which I had already navigated myself.

He 'attempted' to calibrate HDR but said it wasn't as easy as SDR and would try his best to tweak it some. I've heard others say they paid same price w/Chad and got all inputs calibrated and now only view in their CAL modes, but that was not the case in my experience. At the end of the day, it took over 9 hours and I didn't get a quality calibration, AND PAID FULL PRICE. He said he could attempt do more but being that it was then after 2:30 AM and I was tired af, I just told him that's enough man, I gotta get to bed!

So now I have SDR CAL-Day & CAL-Night, but neither of them even looked good when watching television, XBONE, NetFlix, AmazonTV or even media discs, so I literally HAVE NOT EVEN USED THEM AT ALL, not once!...smh

Others on this forum have stated they live in CAL-Day & CAL-Night, but not me. Movie, Standard or Dynamic all look a million times better.

In addition, the recent firmware updates have made them look even worse, so yeah, $450 for nothing. Maybe folks are getting quality calibrations, but in my experience, it was a waste of time money. Granted he did have non-stop equipment problems, but that's not my fault.

Constant equipment failures/shutdowns forcing him to start over from the beginning at least 8 times, taking over 9 hours, no price relief (FULL PRICE of $450) only to have me just use the out-of-box Movie, Standard or Dynamic modes, just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sure, he said he could stay longer and do more, but what am I supposed to do, stay up all night as his equipment shutdowns mid-session? It was 2:30 in the morning! I asked if he could come by the next day or evening but he was leaving Austin later that morning, so yeah..

Nice guy and not bashing him as a person nor professional, but come on man!

Thank God I have the Q9FN, cause I don't know what I would do if the out-of-box Movie, Standard or Dynamic modes didn't look as good as they do.

IIRC, this was his first Q9FN but had worked on the previous year's Q9F.

So there it is FWIW..

-AT

Q9FN, UB820, Bose ST300 (full set)
\m/ Hook Em Horns! \m/
post #8156 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
You missed the point. Anyone can fibble with setings as much as they want, and they are free to like anything no problem, but how could anyone suggest a setting to a person dragging the controls by feeling?

And what is the recomendation going to try and achieve? A Better picture right......better in what way, more colour...less colour....what?

Here is mine anyways from a 75" calibrated with a probe. However it really needs a greyscale-adjustement, mine was way too red in a big part of the spectrum and the human eye is sensitive to red, so skintoines can look bad. In HDR you could try BT.2020 instead of DCI-P3 just to tame the color if needed.

Turn off ecosetting.

film/Serier i SDR. 120 nits on my set:
Moviemode
Backlight: 11
Contrast: 40
Digital clean view: Off
Auto motion plus: Off
Local Dimming: Standard
BT.1886: +2
Color space: Custom

HDR:
Moviemode

Backlight: 50
Digital clean view: Auto
Auto motion plus: Custom
ST.2048: +2
Color space: Auto
(if too saturated colors, set it to custom, change to BT.2020)
Would you mind posting these in the Q9FN Settings Thread? Thanks.

http://net-al30.stream/forum/166-l...gs-thread.html

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #8157 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That made me disregard the whole post, even tho I also use low backlight after a calibration. And backligt does have inpact on PQ because SDR is mastered at 120nits max and if you show 250nits offcourse it wont look as intended and the whole picture is off.

SDR does have a standard. It is filmed with the purpose to show on a screen that follows this standard. The Matrix has a green tint by design, saving private ryan has its own color palette and LOTR another, if you tweak to your liking based on a certain movie then all that is down the drain. Adjust the tv to the standards and enjoy the filmakers tweaking of color/light etc. In audio I understand because they can actually master so it sounds better in carspeakers and that will sound worse in a HiFi-system but picture standards is still pretty firm and this is a good thing.
I agree with you in general. But what I recently did is calibrate my SDR to 300 nits. I'm just not cranking up the backlight / contrast, everything is adjusted to the 300 nits 100% IRE, so it looks really nice and everything is relatively as intended. I found I get some better shadow detail without losing my black level and local dimming (set to low) is even better behaved.
post #8158 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 216
So with the 2019 Samsung sets they show an HDR10+ icon when running HDR10+ content. I really hope they bring this to the 2018 models. Doesn't seem like it would be a difficult thing to do.
post #8159 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm using this TV with the HW-N850 soundbar. I have to put the Xbox directly into the soundbar, otherwise I have audio lag if the TV has to process the signal. Of course in doing this the auto detection and switching to game mode is gone. I have the Xbox and Shield into the soundbar, so sometimes I want game mode and sometimes I don't.

Are there any shortcuts to turn game mode on? Or is programming my Harmony remote to run a macro the only way?
post #8160 of 8622 Old 01-17-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Mitchell View Post
I'm using this TV with the HW-N850 soundbar. I have to put the Xbox directly into the soundbar, otherwise I have audio lag if the TV has to process the signal. Of course in doing this the auto detection and switching to game mode is gone. I have the Xbox and Shield into the soundbar, so sometimes I want game mode and sometimes I don't.

Are there any shortcuts to turn game mode on? Or is programming my Harmony remote to run a macro the only way?
Bixby?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays